- 1 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 cups red bean paste*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
*also called Adzuki bean paste. If you can only find the beans learn to make the paste - [here]. Adzuki beans and the paste can be found in asian markets. I get them at "Whole Foods".
1. In a medium bowl beat the sugar and egg yolks (yeah no whites) until the mixture becomes a thick pale yellow color. Set aside.
2. Bring the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan
3. Slowly beat the milk into the egg mixture.
4. Pour the mix back into the pan with low heat. Stir with a whisk until it thickens. *Be careful not to let the mix boil or it will scramble the eggs*
5. Remove from heat and beat in the red bean paste.
6. Pour into a clean bowl and let the mix cool. Stir in the cream. Then put in the refrigerator for 2 hours, it can sit longer like overnight.
7. Stir the mixture. Then make according to the ice cream machine instructions. (Typically it's about 40 minutes)
8. Put ice cream into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 2 hours so that it will firm.
9. Eat of'course :)
This recipe makes 1 quart of ice cream.
Increase the amounts for more ice cream or bigger ice cream makers.