- 2 cups of milk
- sea salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl beat the sugar and egg yolks (yeah no whites) until the mixture becomes a thick pale yellow color. Set aside.
2. Bring the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan
3. Slowly beat the milk into the egg mixture.
4. Pour the mix back into the pan with low heat. Stir with a whisk until it thickens. *Be careful not to let the mix boil or it will scramble the eggs*
5. Add sea salt. Sprinkle in a little at a time being careful not to add too much and keep adding and stirring until the mixture is a salty sweet flavor (i'll try to get an exact mesurement for you all).
6. Pour into a clean bowl and let the mix cool. Stir in the cream and the vanilla. Add 14 drops of blue food coloring, if desired. Then put in the refrigerator for 2 hours, it can sit longer like overnight.
7. Stir the mixture. Then make according to the ice cream machine instructions. (Typically it's about 40 minutes)
8. Put ice cream into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 2 hours so that it will firm.
9. Eat of'course :)
What if i want typical kingdom hearts Sea Salt ice cream and don't have a machine? Then you want...
11. Instead of doing step 7... get some popsickle molds (metal ones work best) and pour the mixture into them. Store in your freezer overnight.
This recipe makes 1 quart of ice cream.
Increase the amounts for more ice cream or bigger ice cream makers.